How to Choose Makeup Primers and How to Use it Correctly
What is a primer, and how to use it correctly and avoid common application mistakes?
What is a Primer?
A primer is a cosmetic product used as a base for makeup. It works as a first layer for color cosmetics but can also be used independently. Depending on the composition, primers narrow the pores, correct the tone of the face, smooth fine wrinkles, and prevent the appearance of oily sheen. At the same time, their main goal is to prolong the durability of makeup, which is especially important for holidays and special occasions.
Sometimes primers are confused with concealers, used before applying the main foundation. They are different products. A primer may have colored pigments, but its main function is to prepare the skin for makeup, creating a “blank canvas.” The concealer is used pointwise, solely for color correction of individual areas of the skin.
Using primers in the heat is possible but undesirable, especially when skin problems occur. For the summer, it is better to stock up on thermal water for the face and cream with SPF protection of 30–50.
What is a Primer for?
Most primers are multifunctional but differ in properties and are suitable for different skin types. For example, for oily skin, a mattifying composition is needed; for dry skin, moisturizing. At the same time, both of them have a soothing effect. Makeup artists use primers to:
- Prepare the skin for applying foundation, even out the relief;
- Hide minor skin imperfections: enlarged pores, wrinkles, Inflammation, and post-acne ;
- Prolong the period of makeup, excluding lubrication of foundation, Eyeliner, shadows, and lipstick;
- Moisturize the skin;
- Eliminate oily sheen;
- Protect the face from exposure to ultraviolet radiation if Sunscreens are present in the composition;
- Add radiance to the skin.
Types of primers for the face
Primers fall into several categories, primarily based on composition and texture.
One of the main ingredients is silicones. They fill in the unevenness of the skin, instantly smoothing it. Despite the visual anti-aging effect many love, such primers have contraindications: you should not use the product if the pores are wide. Silicones not only fill them but also clog them, which can cause inflammation.
An all-in-one base suitable for most skin types. In any case, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the composition and recommendations of the manufacturer. For example, a primer can be water or oil-based.
The extremely light texture is suitable for oily skin. This primer is best used during the hot season so as not to overload the skin.
Unlike the previous options, the product is used not before makeup but after. The primer fixes the result so that the cosmetics do not smear.
The second important point is the functions of the primer. Some get rid of excess shine and mattify the skin, others hide imperfections and hyperpigmentation, others protect from the sun and improve the complexion, adding radiance. Primers are suitable for everyone, but you need to choose a product depending on the individual characteristics of the skin.
Dry skin types require moisturizing and nourishing care. Cosmetics should include:
- Hyaluronic acid ;
- Coconut oil;
- Sunflower seed oil, olive, shea.
- Argan oil;
- Lactic acid for gentle exfoliation.
Oily skin often clogs pores and is prone to various types of acne. Choose cosmetics that include:
- Vitamin C;
- Tea tree oil and clay;
- Salicylic acid;
- Sebum-regulating components include calendula, oak extracts, Witch hazel, and ginger.
As part of primers for combination and normal skin:
- Green tea extract ;
- Lactic acid;
- Jojoba, avocado, cocoa butter.
How to use makeup base
- Before applying the makeup base, you need to cleanse the skin.
- Use the usual care – tonic, serum, or cream.
- Wait until the moisturizer is completely absorbed.
- Apply a small amount of primer to the face, and spread evenly.
- Using primers with ultraviolet filters in winter and summer: “But if you sweat a lot, applying a leveling primer is irrational: most likely it will leak. You must apply the product with either fingers or a brush, like a tonal foundation. Observe the measure.
Also Read: Work Stress Causes